- Meeting Jan 18th @7pm: Climate Change and Biodiversity – MA Legislation Discussion
Concerned about climate change? About biodiversity loss?
Join us Jan 18th @ 7 pm and HEAR about State Bills under discussion or ones that need an extra boost, HELP us identify opportunities for improvement/acceleration of climate change mitigation plans, and IDENTIFY missed opportunities/new solutions regarding climate change and biodiversity loss.
Use this link to register for this Zoom presentation & discussion (registration is required).
Anthropogenic climate change and biodiversity loss are no longer seriously debated and the State of Massachusetts has set out a framework for 50% greenhouse gas emissions by 2030, and net zero emissions by 2050 (MA Decarbonization Roadmap). Successfully achieving these targets will require a concerted effort of individual, town, and commercial enterprise actions supported or led by meaningful and fair government legislative actions.
Join our special guests Massachusetts State Senator Will Brownsberger, State Representative Dave Rogers, Belmont Energy Committee member Marty Bitner, and Grow Native Massachusetts & Elders Climate Action research team member Amy Meltzer as they outline their thoughts from a State, Town, and individual perspective followed by a discussion Q&A.
Use this link to register for this Zoom presentation/discussion in advance (registration is required). We would love to see you and hear your thoughts.
Useful info and links to relevant information below
- Climate Science Basics from 350.org
- Environmental justice communities and Climate Change 350mass.org Legislative Agenda
- Focus on protect of old growth forest reserves, pollinator habitat, and more… Mass Audubon Priority State Bills
- Housing energy retrofits, jobs, cleaning the electricity grid… MCAN (massclimateaction.org) legislative priorities
- Offshore wind, Electric vehicles, Decarbonizing buildings, Reducing waste, Environmental justice & a Green budget… The Environmental League of Massachusetts
- Belmont’s Roadmap for Strategic Decarbonization… Belmont-ma.gov
- We are experimenting with Instagram – for sharing Sustainable Belmont events as well as selected materials relevant to all in our community including climate, biodiversity, air, land, and water sustainability. Follow us @sustainablebelmont
We hope you can join us in building a more sustainable Belmont community.