Belmont faces a number of energy issues:
- Belmont passed a Climate Action Plan that committed the town to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 80% by 2050 – many recommendations have been achieved and many critical ones are still to come.
- Many School and Town buildings waste energy and money by having outdated heating and lighting facilities.
- Belmont Municipal Light Department rate payers subsidize Town electrical use–reducing incentives the Town could realize from using energy efficiently and reducing costs to taxpayers.
- Greater energy efficiency within the Town could dramatically reduce costs to both taxpayer and ratepayers.
What can you do?
- Get a free energy audit either by calling BMLD or NStar.
- Act on the suggestions of your audit – start with the quick paybacks.
- Buy EnergyStar appliances and get a rebate from BMLD.
- Join Sustainable Belmont in helping the town implement more energy efficient policies.
What is Sustainable Belmont doing?
- Working with BMLD to institute greater energy efficiency measures throughout the town.
- Working with the Town to join hundreds of other Green Communities throughout the Commonwealth to receive incentives for transitioning to higher energy efficiency and clean energy.